Doesn’t really matter if you are looking for dragon names to name your newborn child or you just want to generate some ideas for your upcoming Dungeons & Dragons match.
We can all agree on a simple fact that dragons are cool.
How could you even deny it?
Dragons are giant legendary creatures that burn their enemies alive with just a touch of their breath.
In this article, we will take a look at some dragon names from all over the place and look deeper into the origins of their meanings.
Let’s dig in:
A Song Of Ice An Fire
What is the better place to start with this list than with the names of the dragon queen’s children themselves?
Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion are the names of three dragons commanded by Daenerys Targaryen in the novel by George R. R. Martin.
It’s a black fire dragon with red elements that Daenerys uses as her personal mount.
He was named after Daenerys’s late husband Khal Drogo, the powerful warlord of Dothraki nomads.
A green fire dragon with a mixture of bronze.
Rhaegal was named in honor of Daenerys’s elder brother Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, a wise, kind, and well-educated man who was the oldest son of the king of the Seven Kingdoms.
Cream colored fire dragon with strong elements of gold.
Viserionwas named after Daenerys her second brother Viserys, he was a cruel, condescending, arrogant, and immoral man, a true son of a Mad King.
After his death in the series, Viserion was resurrected by the Night King as an ice dragon.
Mythology And Literature
Let’s step aside for a second from a fantasy world created by George R.R. Martin and dive into our own.
- A female name originated from Agro-Saxons that has the meaning of either “Noble Serpent” or “Noble Dragon”.
- Apalala is a name that originated from Buddhist mythology.
- It a water dragon’s name that was converted to Buddhism by Budha himself.
- Apep, the great snake of chaos was a serpent-like dragon demon of Egyptian mythology.
- He was a nemesis of Egyptian gods Set and Ra.
- It’s a name that is usually given for boys that originated from Buddhism, it means “Dragon’s Way” or “The Way Of The Dragon”.
- A Romanian name that means “Dragon”.
- It is often tied to a Romanian ruler Vlad II Dracul.
- Besides being a name of a famous rapper it’s a popular mythological dragon-like creature.
- In old English, Drake means “dragon, sea monster, or a huge serpent”.
- It’s a name that originated from Greek culture that means “Dragon”.
- Ancient Greek form of Latin name Draco that means “Dragon”.
- It’s an English baby boy name that is a modern variant of Drake dragon.
- Druk is a “Thunder Dragon” in Bhutanese mythology.
- It’s also a national symbol of Bhutan.
- Name of a Turkish descent that means “Dragon”.
- In Norse mythology, Fafnir is a name of a dwarf that was cursed and turned in to the dragon.
- It means dragon in the Basque language.
- A dragon-like water serpent in Greek mythology.
- This creature was portraited to have from 5 up to 100 heads, and every time you cut one two grew back in it’s place.
- A water dragon in Chinese mythology that is capable of many forms.
- It’s a Japanese female name that means “Little Dragon”.
- A serpent-like dragon creature from Greek mythology.
- He was the dragon that guarded the golden apples at the Garden of Hesperides.
- Sea monster in Jewish mythology that is often compared to a dragon.
- It’s a word in German and Dutch languages that means “dragonfly”.
- A Chinese surname that means “Dragon”.
- A Chinese name for a boy that has the meaning of “Dragon Greatness”.
- It means “Head Dragon” or “Chef Dragon”.
- It’s was a title name that was given Ancient British and Welsh warlords.
- A Japanese female name that means “Dragon”.
- A Japanese word for a dragon that is often used as a name for a boy.
- A Japanese name for boys which means “Male Dragon”.
- Veles is a name from Slavic mythology, it’s a god of earth, waters, forests and the underworld that was portraited to be a dragon.
- A boy name that originated from Korea, it means “The Dragon In The First Position”.
Elemental Dragon Names
Sometimes when you are looking to name your video game or fictional world dragons you don’t really care about history or mythology and just want a cool sounding name, so here are our picks to some creative dragon names related to their elements.
Fire Dragon Names
Blaze, Heat, Inferno, Nova, Ember, Flare, Pyro, Lumi, Scorch, Burnie, Tinder, Igny
Ice Dragon Names
Ice, Frost, Crystal, Glacier, Iceberg, Hailstone, Haily, Freeze
Lightning Dragon Names
Bolt, Electron, Sparky, Volt, Thunder