Have you ever watched a movie and were astonished by those magical characters called witches? There are so many of them and all of them has a different special kind of powers. All you have seen in those films are just characters appearance and magical powers. But did you ever wondered what all of those unusual names means and how it can affect names owner’s destiny?
Or maybe you are looking for a witch name just for yourself? My friend, you are in the right place. I have made a special list just for you.
As an old fashion person, I split a list to two parts female and male. But you can use it the way you want to there is no strict gender rules for names in the magical world.
- Is derived from the Hebrew word Chava, which means “life”. This unique name belongs to the main antagonist in the Land of Oz, the Wicked Witch of the East.
- It was invented by the author of the book “Wizard of Oz” L. Frank Baum and it means “fair” or “good”. Glinda is the name of the Good Witch in the book and movie “Wizard of Oz”.
- Is believed to have been derived from the French word jadis, meaning “long ago” or Persian word jadu, which means “witch”. This mystical name belongs to White Witch from C.S. Lewis’ book and the movie “Narnia Chronicles”.
- The meaning is unknown but the name belonging to the Good Witch of the North in the “Wizard of Oz” book. It was Locasta who introduced Dorothy to Oz and sent her to meet the Wizard after placing a protective kiss on her forehead.
- The meaning of Maleficent is “prone to evil”. And it is the name of the witch from Sleeping Beauty.
- A long-neglected name of the Roman goddess of invention and wisdom and it’s meaning is “of the mind”. In Harry Potter, Minerva is the name of a Witch and Deputy Headmistress of Hogwarts.
- Is a mythological name, meaning ‘radiant or shining one’. It is one of the most powerful on-screen witches of all time appeared on “Charmed” series.
- The name means ‘pearl. Rita Replusa from the “Power Rangers” is a humanoid evil witch bent on galactic domination.
- The meaning of Theodora is ‘gift of God’. Charming and substantial name Theodora has been borne by several literary characters including the Wicked Witch of the West in “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz”.
- The meaning of Alatar is ‘after comer’. This one very well knows for “Lord of the Rings” lovers. In the Tolkien’s world, Alatar, also known as Morinehtar, was an immortal Istar wizard sent to the Middle Earth to help in the fight against Sauron.
- The name Fabian means ‘bean grower’. In “Harry Potter” series this name belongs to one of the most loved wizards of Hogwarts.
- The name Gandalf means ‘wand elf’. Gandalf is one of the protagonists in J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit”.
- The name Ganondorf means ‘descendant of the fair-haired man’.It is also known as the Dark Lord or the Great King of Evil, is the antagonist of the “Legend of Zelda” series.
- The meaning for this name is unknown but it is the Sith sorcerer and a descendant of the Dark Lord of the Sith Freedon Nadd in “Star Wars” movies saga.
- The meaning for this name is unknown but in the “Lord of the Rings”, Radagast, also known as the brown or Aiwendil, is one of the five Istari or Wizards send to the Middle Earth. Radagast held a low profile because he was concerned only with the well-being of plants and animals.